[K12OSN] Kernel Panic with SATA RAID

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Aug 30 17:45:42 UTC 2004

> The only thing even close that I've used is a 3ware IDE raid
> controller and it appears to the kernel as a SCSI device even
> though the drives are IDE. The rest of the box sounds fairly
> ordinary so I'd guess the problem is with the raid controller
> or driver.  Depending on when it crashes, it may not have the
> modules needed to access the controller in the initial
> ramdisk.  You load the kernel with bios calls, but when the
> kernel detects devices it has to be able to connect up the
> disk driver before it can do much else, so if the driver
> isn't built into the kernel the module has to be on the
> ramdisk.

This sounds like what is happening to me.  I assumed that for some
reason the kernel saw the SATA as a SCSI controller and the reason for
the crash is the driver or something isn't right and since it can't
access the data correctly the kernel panics and I am done.

Any ideas on how to fix this or should I look at purchasing a new
controller that is known to work?  If a new controller is the only way
does anyone know of a SATA controller known to work?  At this point I
would rather eat a few hundred bucks than delay the server too long.

Thanks

---