[K12OSN] OT: Monitoring system over time...

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Mon Aug 30 22:27:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 14:52, Shawn Powers wrote:
> Can someone point me in the right direction -- I want to see how my server
> is performing over a day.  ie, disk i/o (thrashing), CPU usage, network
> load, etc -- but not just for a given moment, but rather a graph or chart
> for a day.

If you have sysstat installed, you could use "sar". "man sar" to see all
of the options. "sar", "sar -r" , and "sar -b" are some I use regularly.

Doh, just noticing that "sar -b" doesn't work on 2.6 kernels. Hmm.

Alternatively, something like Cacti can make pretty graphs for the web
via SNMP.

--
Dan Young
Parkrose School District