[K12OSN] RSH vs SSH (was some other topic)

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Aug 4 00:20:03 UTC 2004

Shawn Powers <spowers at inlandlakes.org> wrote:

I'm actually going to use rsh -- because programs are called from a
private subnet on a separate gig switch (all the servers use that 2nd
NIC for mounting /home or whatever servers need to talk to each other
about)
<<

Putting my security professional's hat on, I would *strongly* recommend
that you use ssh rather than rsh. There are too many other things that will
consult /etc/hosts.equiv and ~/.rhosts files, and too many problems with
the r-commands themselves. It should be standard practice to use strong
protocols everywhere - especially when, as with ssh, there is no downside
to doing so - and one should never have to ask oneself, "Now, is it OK to
use rsh here, or should I consider something stronger?".

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]