[K12OSN] Internet access restrictions

John P. Conlon jconlon1 at elp.rr.com
Wed Aug 4 19:34:07 UTC 2004

We have a Linux typing lab in our school.  The layout is something we
got stuck with becaue of the way the school was built.  The problem the
teacher has is that she can't see all screens at once because the
terminals are placed around the walls of the room.  Because of the grade
book and such the teacher needs access to the Internet constantly.

Is there a way or does someone have a routine that would require the
user to enter a password in order for Eth0 to allow an Internet connection?

I know that there is a way to set up users when the password files are
created but I don't know how to do that nor  get a chance to participate
in that process so the users are not restricted there.  How would I go
about altering the user access files after the fact to restrict the
students access to the Internet?  Can this be done so that the teacher
could enter a password to give one time access as needed?

Thanks
Pat