[K12OSN] shutting down a client

jam at mcquil.com jam at mcquil.com
Thu Aug 5 15:18:43 UTC 2004

On 5 Aug 2004, bimal pandit wrote:

> dear Carl
>
> its ok to do "logoff -> then hitting the power switch at the login
> screen" as this is the right procedure.
>
> further to your query if you dont log out and switch off the system then
> the process wont get closed and remain live on the server and hence in
> case if you try to relogin then programmes like evolution/openoffice
> wont get opened pressing you to kill those on server first else nothing
> will come up.

Actually, that's not entirely correct.

If you are using KDM or XDM, you'll be fine.  And, if you are using a
version of GDM that is newer than May of 2003, you'll be ok as well.

Those versions of the display managers will kill child processes when
you disconnect from the display manager.

It's still recommended that you close all open applications, but at
least the zombie processes won't be hanging around.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org