[K12OSN] logging into samba/ldap

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Fri Aug 6 22:25:42 UTC 2004

I've attached to the domain successfully...using the Administrator
account....restarted the machine
trying to login with my user 'huck' that I created with

smbldap-useradd -m -a huck

then smbldap-passwd huck

password
password

smbpasswd huck

password
password

getent passwd

huck:x:1001:513:System User:/home/huck:/bin/bash

but each time I try and login to the XP machine with the
Log on to: MYDOMAIN
instead of: Log on to: THIS COMPUTER

I get the standard: The system could not log you on. Make sure your User
name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in
password must be typed using the correct case.

the password is all lowercase..and 6 letters...
not typo'ing it ...
username is correct as well...

any ideas? similar experiences?
creating new users and trying again fails...
perhaps because I'm not using roaming profiles on the XP machines and/or
don't have a startup.bat script?

--Huck