[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1.0 (beta)... networking woes

Ron Freidel rfreidel at computergeex.com
Sat Aug 7 00:19:06 UTC 2004

Here I am scheduled to upgrade two older K12LTSP servers next week, then I
discover that a new release is scheduled for next week as well.

So I have been attempting to get the first beta of 4.10 going and connecting
a thin client that worked well with K12LTSP 4.0.1-1 on the same server.

here is the output of /var/log/messages while trying to connect...
Aug  6 17:45:34 server dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:40:63:c8:4c:a0 via eth0
Aug  6 17:45:34 server dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.0.253 to 00:40:63:c8:4c:a0
via eth0

Looks like it should be assigned an ip and all should be well, but its not
happening, the thin client eventually times out.

Here's some output of tcpdump while the connection takes place....

          Client Ethernet Address: 00:40:63:c8:4c:a0 [|bootp]
17:45:42.852750 IP (tos 0x10, ttl  16, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto
17, length: 338) server.ltsp.bootps > 255.255.255.255.bootpc: BOOTP/DHCP,
Reply, length: 310, xid:0x67c84ca0, secs:18, flags: [Broadcast] (0x8000)
          Your IP: ws253.ltsp
          Server IP: server.ltsp
          Client Ethernet Address: 00:40:63:c8:4c:a0 [|bootp]

I am concerned about 'Your IP: ws253.ltsp' shouldn't that be an actual ip
instead of a host name?

At first I was using a cross over cable between the thin client/server,
thought maybe I had a bad cable, replaced that, then went and pulled out a
brand new Dell managed switch, then tried a little Netgear switch, all results
the same. Oh yeah, tried using different nic's in the server as well.

Anyone have any idea's as to what could be wrong here?

I don't want to install an old release on these two servers next week, but
might if thats all I can get working. One thing I will do is to try
downloading todays iso's, then try installing them tomorrow, just to see if I
have any better luck.

I suppose it's possib;e that the thin client had died, I have not tried using
an old pc as a thin client using a boot floppy, but I think I'll put that off
till tomorrow, its been a long day as it is.

Sorry this email is so long, but it has been a frustrating afternoon, the
first time I tried LSTP with the same equipment I didn't have any difficulty
at all. I just hope someone might have an idea as to what could be wrong here,
its probably one line that is incorrect in one script, but I just can't see it
tonight.

Later
Ron