[K12OSN] NEW HOWTO - Setup a Simple Application Server - PART V

Immanuel Derks I.Derks at translucent.nl
Sat Aug 7 09:24:38 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 20:59, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > a lot of stuff just goes WAY over my head in terms of
> > implementation...
>
> Don't worry, my hair was blowing in the wind just typing that :-)

Okay, when we're finished getting this 5 node terminal server baby (1100
pupils with 80 thin clients) rolling in the school we'll put some
documentation online. Dunno about precize HOWTO's but I'll see what we
can do. Our LDAP implementation goes way further then just central
authentication and addressbook. It also takes care of the complete
postfix MD5SUM-DIGEST/SASL secure authentication with
courier/imap/squirllmail/spamd/antivirus/ldap replication for all to use
in- and external.
It should be unbreakable and is being under severe crackers attack at
the moment to test things out.
As a frontend gateway firewall we use smoothwall with the guardian
module added for web/content filtering as wel as the DMZ setup.

We hoped that the secure terminal session (X11 over SSH) would be
finished in 4.1 but unfortunately is needs more work. I guess when that
comes around (K12)LTSP get really serious in terms of security aswell,
something that is really needed in school environments.