[K12OSN] Open Office Slowness

Dale Harkness dharkness at nsd2.com
Tue Aug 10 13:46:30 UTC 2004

Shane Stafford wrote:

>good morning
>
>We have kinda of an urgent situation.  We are running a Summer Tech
>Academy next week to train our faculty.  We are focusing on LTSP for all
>classes K-6.  We ran our computer lab on LTSP 3.x last year and the
>computer teacher loved it.
>
>Here is the problem, Open Office menus are pulling down very very slow.
>Once in a screen it performs ok.  But the mouse movement and reaction of
>the pull downs is terrible.   We did not see this last year.  The server
>is a new one, but same model and specs as last years model.
>We are now running 4.0.1.
>
>any ideas?  We are pretty much a full blown LTSP school, but I know the
>teachers won't stand for this kind of performance.  What is different?
>thanks
>Shane
>

>Shane Stafford, MCSE, MCT
>Director Information Services Glenburn School and Town
>Educational System Integrator/Network Engineer
>S & B Consulting

shane,

what kind of load are you putting on the server?  go into the system
monitor and see what the CPU and memory load is like.  if you are out of
memory and it is reduced to using swap space it can have an adverse
effect on the system.  also, Openoffice is known for its slowness in the
initital startup, simply due to the fact that the program does not get
loaded into memory during bootup like MIcrosoft office does.  however, a
possible update to openoffice may increase performance.  if it is CPU or
memory related, and upgrade to those may help as well.  we are running
version 4.0 of LTSP and i have noticed that the less people on it, the
better it runs for Open office.  upgrading RAM helped us increase the speed.