[K12OSN] Open Office Slowness

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Aug 10 15:35:34 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 08:25, Shane Stafford wrote:
> thanks Eric
> So if I hear you correct, I should not worry about this level for one
> user? Or I should check why this level.
> Thanks so much
> Shane

If you are not swapping, you probably don't need to worry about it.
There are two of us logged into my LTSP server at the moment (both of
us memory hogs ;-) and I'm seeing almost a gig of ram being used. But
if you take a closer look, you'll note that ~500M of that is buffers &
cache:

[eharrison at ltsp eharrison]$ free
Mem:       2074724     994368    1080356          0     323320     195120
-/+ buffers/cache:     475928    1598796
Swap:      2039800          0    2039800

Rather than having unused ram go to waste, Linux makes a huge cache out
of it. If you need the ram for applications, it just automatically makes
the cache smaller.

-Eric