[K12OSN] Burning CDs (Slightly OT)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 10 17:32:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 10:43, Shawn Powers wrote:

> I have a computer near my desk that is running fedora, and has a CDRW
> drive in it.  I have an SSH keypair set up, and I always download isos to
> a spot on that computer's hard drive (all via commandline SSH) -- then, to
> burn (I'm a gui burning bloke) I start k3b at the commandline, and it
> launches on my thin client's desktop.  I then burn the isos...

If you have a recent 'burnproof' drive or keep the speed down to 16x
or so you shouldn't have any trouble burning from a network mount.
At home I usually download to a linux box, then burn from a
nearby windows PC that has the CDRW using a samba mount.  At work
I normally use the command line cdrecord program with the image
either local or over an NFS mount.  It's not worth starting a GUI
to save typing:
  cdrecord -dev=2,0,0 -driveropts=burnfree -eject iso_filename
(or the shell wrapper with $1 in the filename position...).
In both cases I use rsync as my preferred download method if it is
available from the server.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com