[K12OSN] Printer permissions

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Fri Aug 13 13:54:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 19:13, Timothy Legge wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there a way to limit the printer that users can access?  We have a
> mixture of ltsp jet direct and windows samba printers.  I would like to
> limit the printing to certain printers to only some users.

You can set group permissions on the device and add the users who are
allowed to access it to the group. Remember, everything is a file in
linux so their permissions are all the same. Gotta love that. :-)

If I was going to do this on my palm on my Gentoo box I'd do something
like this (sorry, that's what's in front of me):

su
groupadd palmusers
chgrp palmusers /dev/palm
chmod 770 /dev/palm
Then I'd edit the palmusers line in /etc/groups and add the users I
wanted to have access.

JSR/