[K12OSN] Emergency network backup using STAR && ssh

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Fri Aug 13 14:15:44 UTC 2004

For the moment, Coastal South Carolina (and coastal Georgia) are on the
predicted path for Hurricane Charley.  Not knowing what strength it will
be after hitting Tampa Bay, FL (which is where Eckerd College
www.eckerd.edu, the college I graduated from is situated right on the
water... it'll be covered by possibly 10 ft surges from the 110 mph
storm), I am trying to backup some of the teacher's PCs (unfortunately I
don't have Amanda or any other network backup software operating on
those PCs b/c of a shortage of network filespace).  Also on that list is
my own system, which I need to backup about 15 gigs to a remote tape
drive (which I have backed that server up using good ole DUMP).  My
system is running Linux, and I have STAR installed, which should be able
to use ssh.  Otherwise, I'll have to get rsh installed and configured
for running DUMP.   Anyone gotten STAR operating via ssh?

--
Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
hburroughs at hhprep.org