[K12OSN] Upgrades, Was: user adding programs not working

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Aug 13 17:06:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 07:00, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> > Only if it will install right over the top of FC1 and not
> > break anything.
> >
> > How could I do that without having to burn a set of FC2 CDs?
>
> I personally have no idea what the implecations would be with an
> upgrade.  I am sure no one here would suggest an upgrade over a clean
> install, but sometimes there just isn't an option.

I've upgraded ~20 production servers so far, without a single
significant problem. Two of the upgrades were from RH72 -> FC2.

> As far as how to do it without CD's I am not sure, I have plenty of
> bandwidth here and often forget about those who don't.

There are several people/companies that sell K12LTSP ISOs. Some are
listed at:

	http://k12ltsp.org/order.html

But since Doug was asking about ISO-less installs, here is a quick
HOWTO. Note that this is not really recommended, but it does work if
the network connection is reliable. In any case it will likely be slow.

Note: this is for K12LTSP 4.1.0. These instructions work for older
releases, just substitute the version number in the pathnames.

1. Download the boot image (about 4MB in size) and burn it on a CDR:

   ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.1.0/i386/images/boot.iso

   NOTE: if you BIOS supports booting off a USB drive, you can use
         the diskboot.img instead of the boot.iso. See:

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.1.0/i386/images/README

2. boot off the iso (or USB drive)

3. when you are prompted for the install source, select FTP

4. hostname:  k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us
   directory: /pub/K12LTSP/4.1.0/i386/

5. install/upgrade like normal

-Eric