[K12OSN] Re: Upgrades, Was: user adding programs not working

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Fri Aug 13 20:40:54 UTC 2004

Another method for an existing server which is presently working is to
use the kernel and initrd.img in
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.1.0/i386/images/pxeboot/ to
boot directly from GRUB.

I've done this before with FC2, and it worked then. Of course, it is
largely similar to what you are suggesting, but works very well for not
wasting media. That wafer of plastic and Aluminum doesn't mean much, but
over the life of a typical administrator, how many of them are there?

In terms of download time, it's irrelevant. They are the same files,
just not packed up in a .iso file.

Angus.