[K12OSN] "Wireles" pxe boot ?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Aug 16 23:02:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-16 at 16:31, norbert wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> hmmm what I mean is a boot CD for the thin clients via a wireless NIC

Yes, the issue is that you need to initialize PCMCIA and the card
manager before you can talk to the NIC and that happens pretty late
in the boot sequence.  So, if you are booting from CD, why not
load the kernel and X directly from there instead of over the
network?  You can get a lot better hardware detection and still
end up being a thin client if you run "X -query ..." instead of
starting a local window manager.  I suppose it would take a little
more effort o get sound working.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com