[K12OSN] Three Issues With 4.1 Issue #3 Sound

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 12:39:46 UTC 2004

Snipped from previous email:

I also have a few workstations that are old Dell Optiplex GX1's  same basic
deal, no sound working.  I haven't played with those, they connect but no,
sound.  I am really more concerned with the IBM's though

again, please help

<>
either a slow night or no one has an answer. I am begging for some
resolution
before school starts
<<

We upgraded our servers over the summer. (We, I guess I should say
Calvin upgraded our servers, he did all the hard work!) We have sound
working somewhat on the back row in our lab -- they are GX1s. These are
the settings in the lts.conf file. I didn't do the hard work of getting
it running, Calvin works with me and had sound working on k12 at home.
It works on the few games I have tried and a Disney website that
Elizabeth pulled up for me, we checked out a few "clips" of some kind,
cartoons I think. He also installed mpg321 (command-line mp3 player),
and I will try that today with the new headphones -- I have a copy of a
song in my home I want to test this. Notice I have clipped the "default"
section of the lts.conf file, and the "row" section. I do know volume
control is an issue (different clips on that Disney site played and WAY
different volumes, blasting me out of my chair once) and I plan on
buying a pair of headphones with volume control and testing that today.
Sound in our lab is something we are trying to get going this year, So I
feel your pain. All the kids want sound to work.... The web is such a
challenge with ltsp and all the cool stuff the sites do, having all the
right plugins, etc. Lots of educational websites are very sophisticated,
and use the latest and greatest.

Please let me know if you would like an update on volume control.

BTW, SCREEN_02=shell came in really handy yesterday (in the default
section). We have such a hodge-podge of equipment, I have to do a lot of
settings by hand in the lts.conf file. Sometimes I'll put a terminal
together, it looks fine and then when the GUI is supposed to appear,
blank screen or a big strip of blurry static. Now, I can just do a
ctrl-alt-f2 and get a bash prompt, and ssh to the server, make the
appropriate changes to the lts.conf file, or look at the log file.
Calvin just recently uncommented that line and I just discovered it
yesterday. Saved me a few steps. He has been using it to troubleshoot
the sound issues on the individual workstations as he was trying to get
sound going, one little step at a time. I think he is really still
figuring out how to get all of the different things working with sound,
one at a time.

Hopefully we can post our successes.

Rita Gibson
RMSEL

[Default]
        # IP address of the LTSP server
        SERVER             = 192.168.0.254
        NFS_SERVER      = 192.168.0.254
        DNS_SERVER      = 192.168.0.254

        # Video drivers for the terminals
        XSERVER            = auto
            # XFree 4 drivers: ati cirrus cyrix fbdev i128 i740 i810 mga
            #      neomagic nv r128 radeon rendition s3 s3virge savage
            #      siliconmotion sis tdfx tga trident tseng vesa vga
            # XFree 3 drivers: XF86_FBDev XF86_S3 XF86_S3V XF86_SVGA
            #      XF86_VGA16 XFree86 Xvesa

        X4_MODULE_01 = glx
            # add the GLX module by default, blender and the like need it

        # Mice drivers for the terminals
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
        X_USBMOUSE_PROTOCOL = "IMPS/2"
            # Mouse protocols: ExplorerPS/2 GlidePoint GlidePointPS/2
            #      IMPS/2 IntelliMouse Microsoft MouseManPlusPS/2
            #      NetMousePS/2 NetScrollPS/2 PS/2 ThinkingMouse
            #      ThinkingMousePS/2 usb
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
        X_USBMOUSE_DEVICE   = "/dev/input/mice"
        X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
        X_USBMOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
        X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
        X_USBMOUSE_BUTTONS   = 3
        USBEMULATE_3_BUTTONS = "off"

        # Keyboards
         XkbSymbols         = "us(pc101)"
         XkbModel           = "pc101"
         XkbLayout          = "us"
            # Example of setting a different (German) keyboard mapping,
            #    XkbLayout = "de"
            # also see:
            #   http://www.xfree86.org/current/XKB-Config2.html
            #   http://www.ltsp.org/documentation/ltsp-3.0-4-en.html#AEN1213
            #   /opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst
            #   (/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/)
            #   (/opt/ltsp/i386/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/xfree86)

        USE_XFS            = N
        LOCAL_APPS         = N
        SCREEN_01          = startx
        SCREEN_02          = shell
        #SCREEN_03          = telnet
        # TELNET_HOST = 192.168.0.254
        #SCREEN_04          = rdesktop
        # RDP_SERVER = your.2k.server
        # RDP_OPTIONS = -F -u fred -d ltsp

        # comment the following line to disable USB support
        RCFILE_01           = "usb"

        # uncomment the following line to enable floppy support
        RCFILE_02          = floppyd

        # enable sound by default
        SOUND              = Y
        # choose either esd or nasd to be the default
        SOUND_DAEMON       = "nasd"
        # SOUND_DAEMON     = "esd"

        # default sound volume
        VOLUME             = 75

        ### For ISA sound cards, you have to specify the module to use:
        # SMODULE_01       = "sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1"

#========================================================
#BEGIN ROW 4
#NO. 22
[00:c0:4f:5a:c8:09]
        SERVER=192.168.0.4
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.4
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#NO. 23
[00:c0:4f:54:44:ea]
        SERVER=192.168.0.4
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.4
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#NO. 24
[00:c0:4f:41:15:81]
        SERVER = 192.168.0.4
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.4
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#NO. 25  (updated 07/08/2004)
#Dell GX1   H5HNX
[00:c0:4f:6d:43:57]
        SERVER=192.168.0.4
        XSERVER=XF86_SVGA
        X_VERTREFRESH  =  50-65
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.4
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#NO. 26
[00:c0:4f:7f:95:f9]
        SERVER             = 192.168.0.254
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.254
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#Machine 27
#Dell GX1
[00:c0:4f:54:45:41]
        SERVER=192.168.0.4
        XSERVER=XF86_SVGA
        X_VERTREFRESH  =  50-65
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.4
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#Machine 28
[00:c0:4f:ac:82:e6]
        SERVER=192.168.0.4
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y
        SWAP_SERVER=192.168.0.4
        SMODULE_01="cs4232 io=0x534 irq=5 dma=1"

#Machine 29 (ws?)
[00:c0:4f:7f:b1:71]
        SERVER=192.168.0.254
        USE_NFS_SWAP=Y