[K12OSN] Odd Lockups with K12 LTSP

Shane Stafford staffords at glenburn.net
Wed Aug 18 14:34:29 UTC 2004

Hi all

Our Glenburn Technology Academy is in it's 2nd day and the teachers are
doing great!

I have one question (well one in this email) that is bothering us.  I am
getting lockups on clients.
Now usually we can do a ps -u username and see what processes are open,
and often we have to do a kill to get the user rebooted.   But, this week,
since the 4.0.1 we are getting more times where a machine locks up and I
do a ps -u username and it shows nothing.  Just the user is not logged on.
 I would think that if a machine locks up it would show orphan processes.

any ideas what is happening and/or what we are doing wrong.  We also find
that if this happens once to a user, it may happen more often then.

thanks
Shane

Shane Stafford, MCSE, MCT
Director Information Services Glenburn School and Town
Educational System Integrator/Network Engineer
S & B Consulting