[K12OSN] Getting Optical-wheel mouse to work on com1?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Aug 18 21:30:47 UTC 2004

What kind of adapter are you using to connect the mouse to the serial
port?  A few years ago I found that 1) the PS2-to-DB9 adapter that comes
with the mouse is usually proprietary to that mouse--in other words, the
adapter from a Logitech mouse won't work with the adapter from a
Microsoft mouse; 2) on old machines, the cable from the on-board serial
connector to the DB9 port on the back of the machine could come in at
least two different configurations, and they weren't interchangeable.
Some cables had the connectors wired this way:

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
9 10

and others were
1 6
2 7
3 8
4 9
5 10

None of which helps you.  Have you verified that the using the mouse via
the serial port works on a regular (fat) machine?

Petre