[K12OSN] (still) setting up powermac G3 as ltsp client: unable to open an initial console

Brad Smith usernamenumber at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 22:40:17 UTC 2004

I've been trying to get an ancient PowerMac G3 up as a k12ltsp client.
The problem is its scant 32M of memory (did I just call 32m of ram
"scant"? Yeesh....) is not enough to install yellowdog. Every attempt
has run into some kind of problem, usually an "out of memory" error.

So I've been trying another approach and seem to be making some
progress. I've just been booting the kernel with these arguments:

nfsaddrs=192.168.0.1 nfsroot=192.168.0.254:/opt/ltsp/ppc/

This has seemed to work ok, at least at first. According to the logs
on my server the client does indeed mount /opt/ltsp/ppc/. However,
after that the client says

Warning: unable to open initial console

and stops there. I've tweaked the lts.conf file to, for example, boot
into runlevel 3 instead of 5 but to no avail. I've attached my
lts.conf in case it yeilds any clues. I feel like perhaps I'm close to
getting this to work but just don't understand the ltsp internals well
enough yet to make the next connection I need to make.

If anyone has suggestions I would gladly welcome them.

Thanks!
--Brad