[K12OSN] *sigh* FC2 issues

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Aug 21 17:15:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-21 at 00:59, Andrew wrote:
> I read the Jan. thread. Swtiched to fc2. not a good result. I understand
> the problem--the need for the latest and greatest, etc...
> But I also get kinda peeved when my lab locks up.

Is someone keeping a list of what hardware fails with what
kernel or X versions?  The problems really are tied to
specific hardware.  I have machines (including smp) that
have been running fc2 since the test2 version and never
crash, but I also have machines that won't install fc2
and some that will run fc2 but not fc1.  These are basically
kernel/driver issues with hardware and a matter of timing
when the releases are cut more than anything fedora-specific.
Some hardware needs the new drivers and bug fixes in the
new kernels but unfortunately they sometimes introduce
new problems.   My advice is to spend some of the money
you save on software licenses and support on a spare server
with identical hardware so you can load and test new versions
before putting them in production, or if you really don't
want to do anything experimental, copy a known-working
setup using the same hardware and software versions.

Speaking of hardware problems, does anyone have firewire
drives working with FC2?  They were disabled in the
release kernel but update kernels have the support
modules and seem to recognize devices.  I just haven't
been able to make a drive work.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com