[K12OSN] Remote shutdown/startup Thin Clients

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 08:26:11 UTC 2004

I'm profoundly lazy.  Can't these things put themselves to sleep?  Maybe not.

If you turn on ssh on the clients & put a key in root's
.ssh/authorized_keys file you could do something like this:

for x in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ; do ssh -l root 192.168.1.$x shutdown -h now; done

Oh, wait.  The clients don't run a ssh daemon.

Another way would be to use cron, but the clients don't run cron either.

You could make the clients run this stuff.  Turning them on
automatically might be possible with the machine'sBIOS.

A simple solution would be to turn off the power to the circuits that
the machines are plugged in to.  It's not really necessary to do a
clean shutdown.  Just pull the plug or hit the power strip.