[K12OSN] Kernel Panic with SATA RAID

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 26 01:46:24 UTC 2004

Anyone had much experience with SATA RAID in 4.1.0 yet?

I ask because I just ordered a new Dell server for a new lab in a
startup high school in town here.  It is a:

PowerEdge 700
P4 2.8Ghz w/1MB cache
2GB DDR 400Mhz RAM
CERC 6-Channel SATA RAID Controller w/64MB Cache
4 80GB 7200 SATA drives in RAID 5
On Board Gigabit Intel NIC
Add in 3Com 905b 100MB NIC
CDRW/DVD IDE Drive

Everything seems to detect and load fine, finds the NIC's, HD's,
partitions everything fine and makes it through the entire install.  But
upon reboot I get a kernel panic while it tries to load some SCSI stuff,
but the machine doesn't have any SCSI devices or controllers.  Any ideas
on what is happening or where to start troubleshooting?  I can only work
on this thing at night since it is for my other business so be patient
if my responses are slow during the day.

For now this will only run 9 clients.  I also have a Dell 2324 switch
for the network, the GIG port for the server and 10/100's for the
clients.

One more quick question, when I install it scans the hardware in a
backwards order for me.  So the Gig port onboard is setup as eth0 and
configured for the external network, and the 10/100 add in is setup to
serve the clients.  So on setup I just set eth0 to 192.168.1.254 and
eth1 as DHCP.  My question is does this make things stupid?  Will LTSP
know that eth0 should be set up for serving DHCP or will it still try to
use eth1?  If so how do I make it use the NIC's in the order I want?
Normally I would just swap the cards into different PCI slots so the are
detected in the right order, but the Gig is onboard so I can't move it.

Thanks,

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188