[K12OSN] PXE boot problems...

ROGER (Tripp) LOWE rcl7820 at owl.forestry.uga.edu
Thu Aug 26 20:53:37 UTC 2004

I can boot the machine in Knoppix when it is disconnected from the switch.
Once booted, I can connect the switch and gain access to the network.
If I boot with the network cable connected, the startup process hangs
at the point where the network is being configured.

Does that shed light on the situation?  Problem with the DHCP server?

Tripp Lowe
GIS Lab Manager
D. B. Warnell School of Forest Resources
The University of Georgia
(706) 542-1074
rcl7820 at owl.forestry.uga.edu

"... don't think of it as work.  The
whole point is just to enjoy yourself."
Otter (1978)

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 14:47, ROGER (Tripp) LOWE wrote:

> I don't mind being creative, so if anybody has ANY suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
>
> In the mean-time, I'll be the one in the lab banging my head against the wall.  Bandages anyone?

Can you boot it from a knoppix CD (new one was just released a week or
so ago)?  If you enter 'knoppix 2' at the boot prompt, then
'X -query server' when you get a command prompt you should be running
as a thin client.  Knoppix offers various way to install on the hard
drive or customize the CD.  Maybe someone can crank out a custom CD
to use with all the hardware that knoppix can detect (pcmcia, wireless,
etc.). You'd have to work a little to get sound and floppy access to
mesh with ltsp but basic X should be easy enough.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com