[K12OSN] PXE boot problems...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Aug 26 21:05:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 15:53, ROGER (Tripp) LOWE wrote:
> I can boot the machine in Knoppix when it is disconnected from the switch..
> Once booted, I can connect the switch and gain access to the network.
> If I boot with the network cable connected, the startup process hangs
> at the point where the network is being configured.
>
> Does that shed light on the situation?  Problem with the DHCP server?

How long did you wait and is this different than other machines?
Depending on your switch configuration you may have to wait for
spanning-tree to complete before DHCP requests will go through.
This can take 30 seconds to a minute depending on how the NIC
is initialized.  I don't know how knoppix handles retries if the
first attempt fails.   If the switch is managed you may be able
to eliminate the delay.  Or, if you make a custom CD you can
probably tweak the startup script to deal with it.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com