[K12OSN] Server sizing

Chris Kacoroski ckacoroski at nsd.org
Thu Aug 26 21:58:53 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have been requested to set up a file server as a backup server for
6000 Mac clients.  Does anyone here have any data on number of
connections that a linux machine can comfortable support?  Expected load
  is:

- 3000 connections over 4 hours
- up to 100 concurrent connections
- connect via nfs share
- use psync (mac rsync) to sync client to server
- from 0 - 10MB uploaded per connection
- from 0 - 2GB of data on the server/person

Proposed system:

- Dual processor, AMD, Supermicro
- Dual 1GB nics bonded together (can this be done on linux)
- debian or redhat linux
- adaptec 39320 scsi card with dual channels
- infortrend eonstor sata- scsi raid

Any advice appreciated.

cheers,

ski

--
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it
   connected to the entire universe"		John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski, ckacoroski at nsd.org, 425-489-6263