[K12OSN] Searching for server (DHCP)

Debbie Schiel debbieschiel at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 27 05:34:21 UTC 2004

Thanks to TP, Sudev, and Andrew for helpful hints and general education (!)

Here's where I am now at -

re-installed K12LTSP after putting in the second network card
eth0 & eth1 now both active

have one ethernet cable supplying web to the server
and a second cable running from the server to ethernet switch 10/100MBps
and a third cable running from the switch to my test client machine.

Made a boot floppy using bootrom from rom-o-matic but client finds no
server.

Some (not all) of the messages on the client screen:

DellSystem Optiplex GXa300L EM+

Etherboot 5.0.1
Found 3Com905-TX at 0xDC80
Mac Address = 00:C0:4F:7A:19:71
Connectors present: MII
Searching for server (DHCP)...
<sleep>
<sleep>

I have visited the LTSP support pages and tried this command
netstat -an | grep ":67 "
and have confirmed that DHCP is running and listening.

I have added my client's mac address to the config file.

The next thing on the list to try is
ipchains -L -v
and reponse is...
bash: ipchains: command not found

*Could this be a problem?*

I also tried
iptables -L -v
and the response is...

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
4613 3412K RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere
anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
    0     0 RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  any    any     anywhere
  anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 4314 packets, 2726K bytes)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
2662 2503K ACCEPT     all  --  lo     any     anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  eth0   any     anywhere             anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
         icmp any
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  any    any     anywhere
anywhere
    0     0 ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  any    any     anywhere
anywhere
1923  904K ACCEPT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
        state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
         state NEW tcp dpt:http
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
         state NEW tcp dpt:https
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
         state NEW tcp dpt:ssh
   28  4974 REJECT     all  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere
         reject-with icmp-host-prohibited

*Do I need to be worried about that REJECT at the end?*

I've tried plugging the cable into another newer client with another boot
floppy but the response is much the same - No server found. Which makes me
think that it's a problem at the server end.

I have webmin up and running if that can help me at all.

If anyone can throw some suggestions my way I'd be very grateful.
I have a meeting with our principal on Monday and he will want to know how
the trial is going. I *SO* do not want to give up and go the windows 2003
route.

Thanks,

Debbie
--