[K12OSN] Hard drive rescue (OT)

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Aug 27 23:36:15 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I need some help.  I have a couple hard drives that are no longer
recognized by the BIOS.  They both happened under similar circumstances so
I'm not totally convinced that they are totally gone.  What happened was
that I was reimaging them (Windows XP) using Altiris Deployment Server
when the imaging process failed.  Then they failed to reboot....now the
drive doesn't even show up at all.  IN one case I tried a different drive
and it worked fine...so it's not the controller.  The imaging process uses
an embedded partition called a Bootworks partition so I'm wondering if
that got corrupt and that's why I can't get anywhere.  Are there any
utilities that people know of that might assist me in getting these drives
back?  The data is not an issue...I'm simply trying to avoid having to buy
new HD's.  Ideas and specualtion are welcome.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us