[K12OSN] *EARLY* Alpha of K12LTSP 3.2

Andrew adfour at mtaonline.net
Sat Aug 28 20:37:16 UTC 2004

It isdn't so much redhat improving over the original author--it is a
matter of a series of distro specific bug reports that help get the
problem ironed out at both ends.
I stick w/ debian testing at home btw, and don't mix stable/unsrtable
etc.  I gotta ask though, what is it you think can be done  (in a
production sense, not in a running the latest subversion of something
sense) on fedora that can't be done on whitebox? Certainly not much
multimedia..... Not much by way of failover clustering... what then?
They just aren't that far apart yet.  The biggest improvement made in
Fedora, the inclusion of kernel 2.6, is useless in a k12ltsp environment
so far, as k12 ltsp.org supports up to kernel 2.4.26 as of today.
All the recent nifty improvements in the way linux does things really
hang on kernel 2.6. Whitebox uses kernel 2.4.25 (modied, of course) do
version 2.4.25rhel and kernel 2.4.6rhfc2 seem that far apart to you in
funcionality?  Sadly openmosix also seems to still like 2.4 kernels.  So
long as our networking  and clustering stuff depends on , as you  say,
an ancient kernel, it seems kinda silly to be calling whitebox ancient
and obsolete.
-AF