[K12OSN] Kernel Panic with SATA RAID

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Aug 30 13:48:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 20:46, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> PowerEdge 700
> P4 2.8Ghz w/1MB cache
> 2GB DDR 400Mhz RAM
> CERC 6-Channel SATA RAID Controller w/64MB Cache
> 4 80GB 7200 SATA drives in RAID 5
> On Board Gigabit Intel NIC
> Add in 3Com 905b 100MB NIC
> CDRW/DVD IDE Drive

> Everything seems to detect and load fine, finds the NIC's, HD's,
> partitions everything fine and makes it through the entire install.  But
> upon reboot I get a kernel panic while it tries to load some SCSI stuff,
> but the machine doesn't have any SCSI devices or controllers.  Any ideas
> on what is happening or where to start troubleshooting?

The only thing even close that I've used is a 3ware IDE raid
controller and it appears to the kernel as a SCSI device even
though the drives are IDE. The rest of the box sounds fairly
ordinary so I'd guess the problem is with the raid controller
or driver.  Depending on when it crashes, it may not have
the modules needed to access the controller in the initial
ramdisk.  You load the kernel with bios calls, but when
the kernel detects devices it has to be able to connect up
the disk driver before it can do much else, so if the driver
isn't built into the kernel the module has to be on the
ramdisk.  Normally the installer figures this out for you.
The only times I've had this problem is when swapping a
drive or cloning it to a system with a different scsi
controller.

> One more quick question, when I install it scans the hardware in a
> backwards order for me.  So the Gig port onboard is setup as eth0 and
> configured for the external network, and the 10/100 add in is setup to
> serve the clients.  So on setup I just set eth0 to 192.168.1.254 and
> eth1 as DHCP.  My question is does this make things stupid?  Will LTSP
> know that eth0 should be set up for serving DHCP or will it still try to
> use eth1?  If so how do I make it use the NIC's in the order I want?
> Normally I would just swap the cards into different PCI slots so the are
> detected in the right order, but the Gig is onboard so I can't move it.

You should be able to change this by swapping the alias names
in /etc/modules.conf and rebooting.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com