[K12OSN] Gigabit headach

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Aug 31 11:42:08 UTC 2004

Now that is interesting.  I've got Cisco Catalyst 3500 and 3550
switches, and things work just fine.  I've also done it with a BayStack
450T w/ Gig-E and things worked fine.  I've also successfully done it
with Amer.com's 48 port version of the same switch (SR48G2i), and things
worked.  However, every K12LTSP server that I run uses fiber; I simply
haven't yet tried it with copper Gig-E, but it should work fine.  I know
that others on the list run copper Gig-E and say that it's just dandy.

The Cat5 spec provides for 100m (328ft) "total run" length, which means
that you can expect to reasonably get away with about 90m (just over
270ft).  If you're not even getting DHCP, then that tells me that
nothing's seeing your server.  Make doubly sure that you've done all
your crimping right, because while Gig-E does work across both Cat5 and
5e, you've got to make sure things are done just right--crimping, patch
panel punch-down, etc.  The tolerances for 100Mb are lower than for 1Gb.

One quickie way to test if that switch's Gig-E port is working or not is
to try the second Gig-E port (SRxxG2 switches have two).  Are you
getting a link light on your switch when you plug in the server?

--TP