[K12OSN] updates

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Aug 31 11:59:50 UTC 2004

Will Hatch wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>My k12ltsp (4.0.1) is working very well after an entire summer of slaving over a computer trying to figure it out.  Now, I point my mouse at the red exclamation point on my desktop and it tells me I have 75 updates!  I tried to do some a few weeks back; downloaded a critical kernal update.  I noticed when the server is rebooted, it has the old and new version of the OS.  What is the real deal with updates; which ones do I really need, can I avoid the updates for programs that I'm not even  familiar with?  Also, if I download a kernal update, am I essentially downloading another OS to my server HD, taking up storage room?  Things are running so well that I hate to mess  them up.  If someone has the time, what is the bottom line with doing updates for Fedora Core 1/k12ltsp 4.0.1?  Thanks!

Hello Will,

There are ways to choose your updates with any operating system, even
Windows.  You've just got to set the correct options.  Generally, I
choose all of the available updates, because I don't want some root
compromise happening when I could've stopped it.  The updates are
provided for a reason, and it's usually security, which is what we all
like.

With regard to kernel updates, you're not downloading another OS; you're
downloading a small piece of the OS.  The kernel is the part of any
operating system that does the low-level conversation with the hardware
(this is where the name "GNU/Linux" comes from, BTW).  What you're
seeing in your GRUB menu, you're seeing the old kernel version *and* the
new kernel version.  Any time I update my kernel, I always like to keep
the old version around so that I can roll back to it if the new kernel
gives me problems.  I haven't yet run into that, but some have.  Yes,
it's taking up space, but not much--maybe a few MB.  If you have an old
kernel rev, you are vulnerable to several DoS attacks and possibly also
a root compromise or two.

If you want to get rid of the "old" kernel entry in your boot menu, just
edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file, and you won't see it anymore.  But
I'd keep it around for a month or two of actual "production-style" use
before I did that.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>
Win freedom from all but 1 of 4000 spams with Mozilla Thunderbird.
Download it now. <http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird>