[K12OSN] RE: RE: Loading vmlinuz.ltsp

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Aug 31 12:27:06 UTC 2004

It looks like you do indeed have the built-in Red Hat firewall turned
on, and this will cause problems for thin clients.  The "medium" level
is the Red Hat default during the installation, so it's easy to end up
turning this on.  Normally, this is a good thing, but it does break LTSP
and, therefore, K12LTSP.

Here's how to fix it till you reboot your server:

[root at server root]# iptables -F

This wipes out the firewall rules, allowing everything to go through.
Since you're running the "standard" dual-NIC setup, I'm not absolutely
certain, but you might also have to do this to get your NAT rules back:

[root at server root]# /sbin/service nat stop
[root at server root]# /sbin/service nat start

Now, this is fine, but what about when you next reboot your server?  We
need a more permanent fix.  All the firewall rules are stored in
/etc/sysconfig/iptables.  I took a look at the shell script that sources
this file, and, from what I read, if that file isn't there, then those
rules won't be implemented, and your problem should go away.  This is
the case on my K12LTSP server.  In your case, you could either delete
the file, or (my preference for safety's sake) you could simply rename
it to, say, /etc/sysconfig/iptables.orig.

Give this a try and let us know how it goes.

--TP