[K12OSN] taskbar issues after updates

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Aug 31 18:05:14 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 11:58, Will Hatch wrote:

> I opened the command line, logged in as root, and typed in: yum updates
>
> So, the updates started in text mode and it has been working for about
> 1 hour.  When I'm done, will I have to issue another command to install?

The first time you run yum it downloads a small header file for each RPM
in the repository.  It will use this information to determine if you
still have anything installed that is older than current.  If so, it
will offer to update a list of packages and you will have to answer
to continue.  When you run 'yum update' again it will only have to
pick up any headers that are new in the repository so it goes much
faster.

>  Also, you mentioned that if the applets were still there, I could just
>  re-add those things to the Gnome taskbar.  I may have screwed up by
>  choosing "delete" when it asked me if I wanted to do so upon loading
>  those particular applets at login.

I think that just means delete them from the panel, so the right-mouse,
add should put them back.  I'd wait until yum tells you that everything
is up to date, though.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com