[K12OSN] Gigabit headach

Jack jackpal at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 23:12:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 22:46, Duane Wilson wrote:
> I took everyones advice and bought the amer.com  SR24G2.
>
> Installed it between server and terminals.
>
> Tried to boot terminals all at once - nada!
>     Would not even get DHCP
>
> Tried one terminal.
>     Got DHCP but choked on 'loading vmlinuz'
>
> There is about 230 ft. of cat Ve from the server to the AR24G2.
>
> Is that too far?
> Did I crimp the end wrong?  (It works fine when connected to the old 100
> Mbit)
> Is my switch bad?
>
> Anyone???
>

> Thanks,
> Duane Wilson

I agree with Terrell.  The tolerances for Gig vs 100mb are substantial.
Just because it works with 100mb does *not* mean it will work with gig.
Take it from a person who has already gone through what you are going
through.  Check your cabling.  It has to be done *perfectly* for gig to
work over copper.

Jack