[K12OSN] yum not working - repomd.xml missing - K12LTSP-4.2.0-beta4

Jesse McDonnell jessemcdonnell at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 22:14:03 UTC 2004

I got the following error message when trying to update with yum. Looks like ~/repodata/repomd.xml is missing.

[root at dempseysden ~]# yum update
Repository updates-released already added, not adding again
Repository base already added, not adding again
Repository k12ltsp already added, not adding again
Setting up Update Process
Setting up Repo:  k12ltsp
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/yum/fedora/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] 550 repodata: No such file or directory
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: k12ltsp
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from k12ltsp: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

A related question: I've been using yum for updating and installing new packages and really like how easy it makes the process. If  I use apt-get to update my system can I switch back to using yum seamlessly?

Thanks!

Jesse McDonnell