[K12OSN] Re: Computer goes to sleep and never wakes up

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Dec 2 04:22:05 UTC 2004

Gavin Chester wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 18:46, Frank Samuelson wrote:
>

>>Shut off  apmd if it is running on your clients.
>>I had to do that w/ my thicker clients.
>>Though it probably isn't running if you're using K12LTSP.
>>
>>Jennifer Waters wrote:
>>

>>>When my thin clients go to sleep, they loose the
>>>signal to the server.   Any one have any suggestions
>>>on what is happening?
>>>

>Forgive my rambling question in response to this thread:
>
>Solutions offered on this thread, that has been repeated several times
>in the context of power-saving and screensavers, is to disable
>power-saving in the thin client bios.  Not having ventured down this
>path myself, is there any way to continue to allow power saving on the
>client so that it just wakes up when someone sits down to logon?  The
>goal of saving electricity seems less important to many LTSP setups than
>it is to environmentalists like me. Or, do I have that wrong too ;-) ?

The thin clients themselves won't go into power-saving mode, but on my
LTSP setup, the monitors do.  A lot of the juice to run a thin client
(say, a Pentium-166) would normally go toward spinning the hard disk and
keeping the monitor lit up.  Since we unplug the HD's, that power is
never used in the first place.  :-)  Pentium-166 and even 233 CPU's
don't really use up that much juice...not like a Pentium-III, Athlon, or
especially Pentium 4!

So, yes, you do get your "environmentalist" power savings with thin
clients.  Plus, if you use "old" Pentiums and such, you're keeping them
out of the landfill for much longer than you would otherwise.

--TP