[K12OSN] alternative power supply

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Thu Dec 2 05:25:48 UTC 2004

In a related thread we were discussing power saving on the client
monitor.  A supplementary question I have is related to getting rid of
the original client PC power supply:

You save some power by having a diskless (thin) client without the
overhead of running multiple disks.  However, you won't realise full
power saving if you leave in the 250-400W power supply and fans that
these PCs come with.  I don't know the levels of power consumed without
disks, but it will be much more than warranted.  The damn thing is going
to guzzles amps just in transforming the power to the motherboard at a
level well above that needed.

I know there is always the option of using purpose-built thin clients
with low-power needs. However, what do you do with that old PC?  One
option I'm looking at is taking out the old power supply and installing
a fan-less power adapter that only gives a 40W output max (from Morex -
fully ATX compatible with the cabling plugging straight into the
motherboard).  This will not only be quiet but should saves heaps of
power.  Additionally, if you have a 450-800 MHz CPU and slow it down to
233-300 MHz or so, you should be able to remove all fans from the case
after you gut everything else from inside.  Or, am I barking up the
wrong tree with that idea that I'm about to experiment with?
--
	Regards,

	Gavin Chester