[K12OSN] multiple LTSP servers same network: tips/ tricks/ handouts

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Thu Dec 2 06:39:19 UTC 2004

Greetings all from a harried teacher a.k.a. sys. admin,

I'm at wits end here. I've got my home directories on a second drive.	I
need all requests for home dir to go through the main LTSP server which
is where the second hard-drive is mounted with all of the user
directories. I've read the wiki, which is painfully shallow on setting
up multiple LTSP servers on the same network,

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/FullTextSearch?s=multiple+servers

and it is rarely updated and has only rare bits on real-world setups.  I
need to add a second server to relieve some of the load on the main
server. I searched for sharing load on the wiki and it came up with no hits:

http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/FullTextSearch?s=sharing+load

I have no cash. I can't buy more RAM. I put the network together on
donations of computers and the generous help of a helpful LUG member.

I need to add a second server without losing home dir. access. I'm
thinking some kind of authentication either NIS or LDAP but, after
having copied the home dir to a second HD my students __are__ able to
log in. Their folders/ files etc. are gone, they __can__ log in, but all
of their previously created documents/prefs/ history files are missing
so naturally I'm more than worried that adding a second server reffing
the /home dir on the second drive on the primary ltsp server is going to
really mess things up. I've got a number of scripts that are working on
students' files now so I'm loathe to mess around yet further with home
dir. paths.

I want the main server.ltsp.one on dhcp response on 100-120.
server.ltsp.two dhcp response on 121-130 but the authentication of
having the /home dirs is causing me no end of anguish. Accessing the
home directories via NFS failed flatout. NFS would not play nice on
k12ltsp 4.1/FC2 even for a seasoned linux buddy of mine.

Make no mistake, I love what I've got working now. But, the network is
slow and my student's protests are growing louder for paper and pen. I
need a cheap 'dummy' solution for my problems here; I'm not a computer
science major. I'm only a dedicated teacher trying to put the 21st
century in front of my students but I feel like the 21st century is
going to beat us because it is __too__ difficult and __too__ complex for
the ordinary mortal to set up a network that requires more than one
moderately priced LTSP server to support the user load.

We only use firefox and gedit. OpenOffice users are booted off
immediately. Tuxtype is the same.  Anything more than the most basic
webbrowsing and text editing is immediately questioned. Application cop
is not the role I want to play as an English teacher in an LTSP enabled
classroom.

There has got to be an easy way to add more server power to an existing
network without digging deep into moth riddled pockets.

I am a poor teacher, not a rich school district. Is there anything in
the works (next version of LTSP?) that makes it __easier__ to add a
second, even third server, to existing networks without increasing user
authentication problems/home directory issues? I ask because I know that
  Mandrake will ask you where the home dir will be located...and having
read that Skolelinux has an authentication/multiple server configuration
already built in(?).

Is there anything in the LTSP that will ask how many servers the admin
wants to set up to support the LTSP network? I use webmin but there
isn't thing nice in there that says, "Ah, your using LTSP... I see
another LTSP server offering DHCP. Would you like to have the second
server reference your existing home directories?"

I've got a dual xeon 2.4ghz, two gigs of RAM. ltsp.server.one I've got a
second dual PIII ltsp.server.two with two gigs of RAM as well. I can't
shell out more cash. The school district Computer Informatin Services
head guy wouldn't mind seeing my 'little experiment' fail so that he can
push through his Citrix/Microsoft client solution.  My LTSP proof of
concept is on the edge of failing. I'm not a trained/certificated sys
admin. I'm an English teacher. And I find myself asking more and more,
"Is K12LTSP only for small boutique/wealthy classes/teachers if you're
not a full-fledged and trained sys-admin or have deep pockets?"

I need to squeeze more performance out of my single server(now) 35+ node
network before parents/ stakeholders step in and say, "Enough, you failed."

Is there anyone in the Los Angeles region who has a multiple LTSP
servers on the same network running? Can I come and see how you've got
your network setup? I'm nearing desperation here.

Maybe a competition describing the most performance out of the cheapest
setups of LTSP? Anything! I can't get any interest in LTSP out of other
teachers or the administrators when they see/hear how much trouble I'm
having. I'm not stupid but there are some critical pieces missing in the
documentation and narratives on how to get more out of LTSP network on a
real classroom size of 35 plus students without spending thousands of
dollars on new servers and clients.
----------------------
Could someone please do a write up on how they set up multiple LTSP
servers on the same network to share the load? Please include more
details on how you set up the central home directories and the
authentication of the user logins.

Many many thanks to all of those who have made the LTSP applications as
powerful as it is now! I beg of you to make it easier to add tools to
make it easier for the dummies, like me, who see the future in computing
in the classroom, but don't have the same years of experience! Please! I
want to be able to say that K12LTSP is ready for prime time in the
classroom!

many heart-felt thanks!

Dennis Daniels

http://dennisgdaniels.com/tiki-browse_categories.php?parentId=38