[K12OSN] alternative power supply

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Thu Dec 2 11:31:30 UTC 2004

One thing to remember about power supplies is that the rating on them is actually the maximum rating.  The power supply doesn't automatically produce that much power--something has to draw that power from it.  Additionally, that maximum power rating is usually divided up among multiple power outlets which you plug into your hard drives, cdroms, etc.

For simplicity's sake, lets assume that you have a 400W power supply with 10 power leads coming off of it.  Each power lead would be capable of providing 40W.  If you unplug 9 of the power leads (no hard drive, no cdrom, etc.) and only leave the motherboard plugged in, your power supply will now only produce a maximum of 40W, simply because there is nothing else to draw the power.

Generally, there are efficiencies to be gained by sizing power supplies close to the real power requirements.  So using a 400W power supply to produce only 40W will probably waste more electricity than using a 100W power supply to produce 40W.  I'm speaking in generalities here, and I don't know if this will make a big difference in the case of thin clients or not.

The best thing to do would be to actually measure the power consumption.  You could do it on the input side and you wouldn't have to open the case.  Or you could measure it on all the outputs, but then you wouldn't be accounting for wasted power in the form of heat produced by the power supply.  Measure it and see if you think it's excessive and if it's worth your time to try to reduce the power consumption.

-Rob