[K12OSN] alternative power supply

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Dec 2 20:01:04 UTC 2004

pnakashi at k12.hi.us wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Huck <dhuckaby at paasda.org>
>
>> ... the YEStation Mini uses only 10 watts of power max =) ... and
>> cost less than $300 each...
>

> We are in a financially challenged situation. We can get many older
> PII's for free and are using these as thin clients. Barring a lottery
> win, this is our strategy. Thus my interest in lowering power
> consumption as much as possible.
>
> However, if I can prove that low power LCD monitors and thin clients
> are worth purchasing (for their long term power cost savings), that
> would be great too. I need a way to figure out exactly how much our
> thin clients are costing us in terms of electricity.

Peter, Tom, Michael's co-worker at McKinley, would be more than thrilled
to loan you his equipment (if needed) and give you the knowledge to
accomplish this.  He loves to break out that ring thing and measure
currents.

Your metrics could be very informative to every one, and the kids could
spreadsheet it.  I would also wonder if WYSE, HP, or Sun have their own
marketing metrics promoting their energy savings over PC's.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Director