[K12OSN] why RAID?

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Fri Dec 3 13:33:07 UTC 2004

The beauty if RAID is that if a disk fails (eventually they all do),
the system keeps on running.  Then, you can take the system down after
hours and replace the drive and re-sync the raid set.

Without raid, if a disk fails, the system dies, or the data becomes
unavailable until you replace the drive and restore from a backup.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org