[K12OSN] hotplug issue

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Sun Dec 5 17:32:38 UTC 2004

eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, norbert wrote:
>
>> I rebuilt the system and found two problems, bad cat5 cable & flawed
>> floppy hence the other issues. So now it starts but when the WS logs
>> in I get what started the whole issue of testing "upgrading" the
>> system. These where errors I had with 4.1.1 and I had installed XFree
>> 4.4 but Jim said that LTSP uses xorg & not
>> XFree86............................
>>
>> "Error activating XKB configuration.
>> Probably internal X server problem.
>

> I've seen one case recently where the symlink trick Jim
> posted (ln -s xorg.lst /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst)
> did not clear up the error.
>
> I happened to log in with the "Reset Desktop" session and the error
> went away.
>
> I have been unable to reproduce this, so I am highly uncertain
> whether or not reseting the desktop setting was actually
> effective or not. But it may be worth trying...
>
> -Eric

HI Eric,

Nope didn't work.... actually I had to press "OK" on several error
messages before it went away. Once gone it works well except that the
session doesn't log out.

Here is the complet process for this install;

a) Install directly from CD beta5

goes well up to the selectioin of software and then a series of errors
messages appear in a window most referring to
/usr/src/.../"filename.tgz" about 15 or 20 items listed.

b) Upgrade from a clean 4.1.0 to beta 5

Works except that networking on dual NIC cannot be configured ..... neat
shows the cards but when I try to activate them they do not come up. ...
ethx failed for both cards

c) Upgrade from clean 4.0.1 to beta 5

XKB error messages, in spite of links being there & reset desktop.
Second NIC (eth1) gets IP from external server but cannot communicate
with it afterwards. ping responds Destination Host Unreachable ... yet
it gets an initial IP address that's confirmed on the router.
eth0 internal works fine

norbert