[K12OSN] Teacher Forums

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Mon Dec 6 01:17:39 UTC 2004

Here in Hawaii we wrestled with creating a separate, more
teacher-friendly list, and we discussed in great length the relative
merits of a mailman list vs. phpbbs.  We created and ran a BB for a
while, but without active moderation, many questions went unanswered and
most of us were accustomed to a standard mailing list.  If the desire
exists to use this technology for a teacher forum, we certainly have the
bandwidth (UH) and the hardware.

Red Hat has graciously offered to host another list.  They contacted
Paul Nelson, the moderator.  He and Eric can have this done.

I wonder, would the list prefer

a. A new, teacher focused mailman list
b. A new, teacher focused bb
c. A new developers list, leaving K12OSN to its original intent of being
an end-user list. (Paul pointed this out)
d. Two new mailman lists for end users and developers

I personally think a new, clean space that only novice end-users are
*encouraged* to enter is the easiest.

--scott