[K12OSN] Teacher Forums

Pat patnewsletters at ip-wizard.com
Mon Dec 6 01:56:47 UTC 2004

Jason wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>
> (I thought I was being watched)
>
> The bbs I was thinking of is www.phpbb.com and it uses php and Mysql. It
> also uses a mail server.  I looked around the site to see about
> resources but I don't think it's a resource hog.
>
> I appreciate the interest in hosting and the help spread the word about
> Linux.
>
> Jason
> <Snip>

I did a quick setup on phpbb on my testing domain
(http://www.posborn.com/teacher-forum/) and see no huge issues.  If this
is the route that the list would like to go for a teacher/novice end
user forum I think we can handle it. I guess the question now is if this
is the path that people want to take.  If it is, I can set things up in
a more permanent config, etc.

Les' points are very well taken, but I guess I do think that bbs format
might be more 'intuitive' to true novice users....  But if the more
experienced people can't / don't monitor it then the value is definitely
  reduced.

So, if the active members can reach a consensus and want to sketch out
with me some of the possible forums, I can sure set it up.

Pat