[K12OSN] Re: [K12OSN ] Teacher Forums

John Ingleby john at coronet.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 17:53:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 Les Mikesell wrote:

> > Yes - www.gmane.org
>
> After poking around for a couple of minutes I couldn't find
> a place in the web interface to log in so it will remember
> the articles you already read and be able to pick up from
> another machine. I'd consider that absolutely essential for
> the web interface to be more useful than just browsing email
> archives. Did I miss it or do you have to use one of the other
> interfaces if you want to only see new stuff?

That would be a useful refinement. Unfortunately, I don't have
first-hand experience of using Gmane because our Mediawiki site
will "real soon" be able to send an email alert whenever a
watched page changes. Given a small amount of discipline, users
will edit their comments on a separate discussion page for each
"thread", so volunteers can then summarise the whole into a
readable article. That's the theory anyway, the hard part is
developing the discipline.

John Ingleby