[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.2 beta & FC3

John Ingleby john at coronet.co.uk
Mon Dec 6 18:06:43 UTC 2004

Sadly I've decided to revert to our 3.1.2 office network after using
the 4.2 beta for a weekend or so. Firebird and Evo 2 are lovely to
work with but we found three problems which I've been unable
to resolve in spite of much Googling and bug searching:

1. PCs attached to the LTSP network wouldn't connect to the Internet,
   although the thin clients worked just fine. Could this be related
   to the upgrade to BIND 9? - because I couldn't find some DNS zone
   files that are present in 3.1.2 in the "jailed" /var/named. Or
   perhaps 3.1.2 just tolerates problems in my DNS setup that I'm not
   aware of.

2. FC3 was determined to switch eth0 (on the motherboard) and eth1
   (an older BNC-terminated PCI card), and in the end I had to
   "force" the assignment by rebooting the server with eth1 removed.
   Modifying /etc/modprobe.conf or /etc/sysconfig/hwconf has no effect.

3. Evolution 2 "lost" my calendar after rebooting. I did wait for it,
   thinking it might be the kind of delay that others have mentioned,
   but it never reappeared.

If anyone has heard of solutions for these, I'd love to know, because 4.2
is shaping up to a really impressive system.

John Ingleby