[K12OSN] Re: Teacher Forums

Ryan Collins collinsr at kentoncityschools.org
Tue Dec 7 13:40:05 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 10:38, Huck wrote:
> > So I guess I would envision a little web page somewhere with a list of
> > 'most k12ltsp edutainment and other applications'
> > each a hyperlink to an explanation of how the program functions(as a
> > tool for learning? if so how is it integrated with curriculm etc)
> I think the 'best-of-all-worlds' approach would be to add this
> section to the existing k12ltsp wiki if it isn't already there
> where you can accumulate some general advice plus a good collection
> of templates, examples, teaching materials and overview
> presentations.  Then a separate teaching-oriented mailing list could
> cover updates/additions to these topics and deal with the
> already-answered questions by posting links to the wiki pages.
> The trick to making it work is, of course, getting people to
> maintain the wiki.  And if you could get any extremely patient
> volunteer to deal with it, you could have a 'post a question' form
> tied to the wiki with the results tidied up by a moderator to remove
> the spam before going out to the list.

I like this idea. I know most of my teachers would not or do not have time
to deal with mailing lists or forums.

BTW, I've just started playing around with MediWiki and find that it's
really powerful, especially the ability to put pictures or attach files to
your documents. Is there any reason why we can't move from phpwiki to
MediaWiki? I was updating the wiki yesterday and was a little frustrasted
that I couldn't upload screen shots to put in the directions (unless it
was there and I didn't see it... :-).

--
Ryan Collins - Technology Coordinator
Kenton City Schools