[K12OSN] access to samba shares from winxp

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Tue Dec 7 23:41:58 UTC 2004

debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au wrote:

> WinXP Pro or Home? Apparently XP Home has issues with networking. We
> have a few XP Home workstations that are going to be downgraded to
> Windows98 over the holidays because I can't get them to play with
> Samba. And I don't think we can afford the upgrade to XP Pro.
>
> Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:
>
>> Dear Folks,
>>  non-public Samba shares on K12 4.1.x servers can be accessed with no
>> problems from win2k, but are not accessible from winxp. That is, the
>> computer is found, but the login never happens. The registry entries are
>> set for cleartext passwords. What am I missing? julius

Hi Debbie,

Instead of "downgrading" them to Win .. anything ... why not upgrade to
K12LTSP thin client system and use them as thin-client to access a W2K
server via rdesktop or vnc ?
Win 9x may not be any better "playing" in a network, whereas linux
thin-client will happily preform.
If you need more info or layout details, just write back, we have a
great bunch of people who'll be delighted to help... :-)

norbert