[K12OSN] access to samba shares from Linux

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Dec 10 13:40:49 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 01:28, Debbie Schiel wrote:
> ...and an update. I haven't a clue what I've done (or what I didn't do
> last time) but smb://server.ltsp/MY_SAMBA_USERNAME works now on my linux
> laptop... very strange, but I'm not complaining!

There is always the command line way if it breaks again or you
need to copy to directories that aren't shared.
Cd to the directory above the one you want to copy and:
  scp -rpv directory_name user at remote_machine:/path
the -r option means to copy recursively taking the directory
and everything under it.  /path should be the directory
above where you want the copy placed.  You can also use
a list of one or more individual files instead of taking
a whole directory at once.  If you do this more than once
a nicer way is:
rsync -essh -av directory_name user at remote_machine:/path
and it will only transfer the differences each time.
Both methods will prompt for the remote user's password
unless you set up ssh keys for passwordless access.  Also,
this should work from either interface of a k12ltsp server
where smb access will only work on the 'inside' interface.

The latest version of nautilus has ssh://server included
for a GUI method of file access but that would only
be included in FC3 based distributions.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com